Know Your Enemy is a new podcast about the American right co-hosted by Matthew Sitman and Sam Adler-Bell. Read more about it here. You can subscribe, rate, and review to the show on Apple Podcasts and Stitcher, and receive bonus content by supporting the podcast on Patreon.
Matt and Max compare experiences as we try to answer some basic but tough questions: What attracts some members of the working class to conservative politics? How do the cultural and economic aspects of conservatism interact for working-class conservatives? And what can the left learn from working-class conservatism’s appeal?
- Max Alvarez, “Can the Working Class Speak?“ Current Affairs (2018)
- Stuart Hall, “The Toad in the Garden: Thatcherism Among the Theorists” (1988)
- Charlie Post’s two-part essay from the early aughts in Against the Current (and Sebastian Lamb’s response)
- Bethany Moreton, To Serve God and Walmart
- Thomas Frank, What’s the Matter with Kansas? (2005)
- Larry Bartels’s review of What’s the Matter with Kansas?
- John Jost, “Working Class Conservatism: A System Justification Perspective” (2017)