Know Your Enemy is a podcast about the American right co-hosted by Matthew Sitman and Sam Adler-Bell. Read more about it here. You can subscribe, rate, and review to the show on Apple Podcasts and Stitcher, and receive bonus content by supporting the podcast on Patreon.
Matt and Sam talk to John Ganz about paleoconservatism, the Island of the Misfit Toys of the American right. Along the way we’re introduced to David Duke, Pat Buchanan, Sam Francis, and others, and discuss their enduring influence on the Republican Party and conservative politics—both in 1992, when Buchanan made a failed run for president, and today, when the hopes of their movement seems to have been fulfilled in Donald Trump.
- John Ganz, “The Year the Clock Broke,“ Baffler, November 2018
- John Ganz, “Finding Neverland,” New Republic, February 17, 2020
- Rick Perlstein, “I Thought I Understood the American Right. Trump Proved Me Wrong,” New York Times, April 11, 2017
- Murray Rothbard, “Right-Wing Populism: A Strategy for the Paleo Movement,” Rothbard-Rockwell Report, January 1992
- Michael Brendan Dougherty, “The Castaway,“ America’s Future Foundation, January 14, 2007
- Shuja Haider, “How To Be a Democrat, According to Republicans,” Outline, February 27, 2020