Know Your Enemy is a podcast about the American right co-hosted by Matthew Sitman and Sam Adler-Bell. Read more about it here. You can subscribe, rate, and review to the show on Apple Podcasts and Stitcher, and receive bonus content by supporting the podcast on Patreon.
Ross Douthat is that strangest of all creatures, a religious conservative with a New York Times column—a perch from which he pronounces on U.S. politics, the Catholic Church, and modern culture with style and intelligence, plus a dash of mordant pessimism. In other words, the perfect choice to be the first “enemy” to come on the show. He joins Matt and Sam to discuss his own conservatism, the American right in the Trump era, and his new book, The Decadent Society: How We Became the Victims of Our Own Success.
- Ross Douthat, “The Decade of Disillusionment,” New York Times, Dec 28, 2019
- Ross Douthat, “The Case for Bernie,” New York Times, Nov 30, 2019
- Ross Douthat, “Trump’s Message: Love It or Leave It, With a Bigoted Edge,” New York Times, Jul 16, 2019
- Ross Douthat, “What Are Conservatives Actually Debating?“ New York Times, June 4, 2019
- Rudyard Kipling, “The Gods of the Copybook Headings,” Harper’s, October 26, 1919